Notary Public Information
Notary handbooks and applications are available on the Secretary of State's web site or at the Carroll County Clerk’s Office.
To become a notary public in the State of Missouri, you must meet certain legal qualifications:
1) You must be at least 18 years of age;
2) You must be a registered voter in the county within and for which you are commissioned or a resident alien of the United States;
3) You must apply in the county in which you legally reside and be commissioned for this same county;
4) You must be able to read and write the English language; and
5) You must not have had a commission revoked during the past ten years.
Upon meeting the above qualifications, you will need to submit an application and $25.00 filing fee to the Secretary of State, Commission Division. Notary handbooks and applications may be picked up at the office of the Carroll County Clerk, Carroll County Courthouse, 8 S Main, Suite 6, Carrollton, MO. To obtain a handbook by mail, send a check for $3.50 for shipping to Carroll County Clerk, 8 S Main, Suite 6, Carrollton, MO 64633.
Once you have completed your application and submitted it and the $25.00 fee to the Secretary of State's office, the application will be processed. Upon approval from the Secretary of State you will receive a letter notifying you that your commission has been forwarded to the County Clerk's office. You will need to obtain a $10,000 notary bond, which can be done through most insurance companies, and present it and a sample of your signature to the County Clerk. You will take your notary oath and receive your commission at this time. There is a $3.00 filing fee with the County Clerk office to process the oath and forward it to the Secretary of State.
If you have any questions please contact the office of the County Clerk at (660)542-0615.