MERCHANT’S LICENSE INFORMATION
Who is a Merchant?
Missouri Law, 150.010 RSMo 1994, indicates that every person, corporation, co-partnership or association of persons, who deals in selling goods, wares, and merchandise at any store, stand or place occupied for that purpose, is a merchant.
Do I really need a merchant’s license? If you answer yes to all the items on the check list below, you need a merchant license.
You own or operate a business.
- The business is located in Carroll County, either within or outside city limits of any incorporated area.
- There is a sales tax number issued to the business by the Missouri Department of Revenue.
- Product or merchandise is sold at retail.
- You collect and remit sales tax to the Missouri Department of Revenue.
- If your business is within a city limit you should also check with that city for their licensing requirements.
How do I obtain a Merchant’s License?
Call our office at 660-542-1977 or come by and we will help you through the process. You may print and fill out your application on this site. After you complete the application, attach a copy of your sales tax ID and a check for $25.00. You may mail it or drop it off in the Collector’s Office.
License fees are NOT prorated if issued for a partial year.
You will need a Merchant License plus any other local city licenses needed.
I do not have a permanent site for my business but travel from place to place selling goods. Do I need a Merchant’s License?
- Yes! If you reside in Carroll County but engage in or conduct a temporary or transient business of selling goods, you must have a Merchant’s License, providing you meet the other requirements on the checklist.
You do not need a Merchant’s License if:
- You are a physician, dentist, or veterinarian selling medicines, at either wholesale or retail, or used in your practice
- You are a farmer who grows or processes any article of farm produce or farm products on your farm, as long as you do not have a regular stand or place of business away from your farm.